Pay Range: $75,000 – $90,000 annual salary
Job Type: Permanent
Hours of Work: Full Time
Work Location: 2485 North Service Rd W, Oakville, ON L6M 3H8
Employee Group: Non-Union
Posting Date: 10 November 2023
Application Deadline: 24 November 2023
Reporting to and receiving direction primarily from the Chair, the Communications Advisor is part of the Board staff team led by the Chief Governance Officer (CGO). The Communications Advisor provides communications and administrative support to the Board, coordinates Board involvement in events, and assists the Chair with public messaging.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Participate in communication-related functions such as developing correspondence, staff communications, newsletters, web updates and social media communications.
- Assists the Board Secretary with all meeting requirements including scheduling, preparing agendas, taking minutes and preparing necessary materials and equipment.
- Works collaboratively with the Board Secretary to provide administrative support to members of the Board
- Coordinates the Board’s participation in local policing and community events, as well as provincial and national police governance conferences and other training activities
- Prepares speaking notes for presentation by the Chair or designate at meetings and events
- Provides public relations support, including the creation of content and managing the Board’s social media accounts
- Demonstrates and conveys a positive image of the Halton Police Board to the public, to stakeholders and in the media.
- Manages and posts content on the Board’s website
- Liaises with police headquarters staff to ensure consistent messaging and efforts
- Processes all Board members and staff expense claims
- Assists with preparation of the annual Board Governance Budget
- Occasionally conducts research and draft Board reports
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE AND ATTRIBUTES:
- Post secondary education in Business, Public Administration, Communications, Political Science or related field
- Demonstrated employment experience managing social media, writing speeches for senior executives, creating newsletters, writing press releases, and managing media relations
- Minimum 3 years experience in providing executive decision and advisory support
- Possess excellent written and oral communication skills to convey appropriate messages to a wide range of stakeholders
- Sound judgment, diplomacy, and strong issues management skills
- Ability to proactively respond to challenging and dynamic situations
- Be self-directed in anticipating, responding and being proactive in adding value to the Board
- Strong research skills
- Knowledge of the Halton Police Board programs, services and Information
- Appreciation for the complexities of community safety
- Working from Board Office at Halton Regional Police Service Headquarters is required and may work from home when deemed appropriate
- Travel within Halton Region may be required; incumbent must supply their own
- Flexibility in working hours may be required including but not limited to all board meetings, and occasional local policing and community events during evenings and weekends
The successful applicant will need to pass a background check to the satisfaction of the Board which will include reference checks with previous employers, verification of educational achievements, driving record and a criminal background screen.
Footer: (Important Information about your application)
The Halton Police Board strives to be an accessible and inclusive organization. We are committed to fairness and equity in employment and our recruitment and selection practices. We encourage and welcome applications from all who may contribute to the further diversification of our organization.
- In accordance with requirements in Ontario Regulation 191/11 – Integrated Accessibility Standards and the Ontario Human Rights Code, Halton Police Board will accommodate the needs of individuals with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodation at any stage of the recruitment process, please inform the Talent Acquisition representative of the nature of the accommodation(s) you require.
- Please submit your application online. We will accommodate individual needs for applicants with disabilities and others who are not able to apply If you experience any issues with submitting your application, please contact [email protected]
- Applications will be accepted until 11:59 m. on the deadline date specified on the posting.
- We encourage applications from all qualified individuals; however, only those under consideration will be contacted.
- Personal information collected through the job application process will only be used for the purpose of determining qualifications for employment.
- If selected for an interview, you will be contacted by email and/or phone. Please ensure the contact information provided on your resume is up to date and that you check your email and voicemail regularly.